SCARSDALE, N.Y. -- Summer is peak vacation time. The beach beckons, homes in the hills await, exotic locations are ready for exploration…and you’re off. Before heading out though, Advocate Brokerage has a few suggestions for homeowners to consider so that time away is as stress-free as possible.
Expect the unexpected…will you be covered?
No one wants to think about insurance when planning a getaway, but the fact remains that unexpected circumstances can arise and get in the way of travel. In fact, according to the US Travel Insurance Association, one-quarter of Americans had to cancel, delay or interrupt their travel plans during the summer of 2013. For example, a weather advisory or a transportation issue could each be the unexpected event that ruins your plans, so having policies in place that protect you may be worth the added cost. For proper protection, consider:
- Coverage for trip cancellation, including a provision for cancellation for any reason.
- Coverage for illness or injury.
- Coverage for travel delays.
- Coverage for assistance should you become injured and need to locate medical help and/or family members to assist you in your time of need.
Prepare your home.
Perhaps because summer is peak vacation season, it is also peak home crime season. One in 215 homes has property damage each year due to burglary during the summer months. For a vacation to be claim free (away and at home) there are a few things to take care of before leaving.
- Secure your home with deadbolts and an alarm system.
- Be sure to pay special attention to the garage door, a popular point of entry for thieves.
- Keep an outdoor light on, or better yet, have motion sensors installed on outdoor lighting.
- Lock up your shed or any place you store ladders or tools an intruder could use to break into your home.
- Turn off mail and paper delivery, water supply and major electronic devices.
- Ask a neighbor to keep an eye on your home and report anything suspicious.
Protecting you and your investments is important to Advocate Brokerage. If you are getting ready to travel and have questions, please give them a call at 914-723-7100 or visit their website .