WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Peekskill's defense smothered Albertus Magnus in the second half Saturday night and the Red Devils rolled to a 49-34 victory and a second straight Section 1 Class A girls basketball championship at the County Center.
Fourth-seeded Peekskill used a tough inside defense to extend a narrow 26-22 lead through the third quarter for a 37-28 edge and pulled away for the win.
The Red Devils, who defeated top-seeded Beacon in the semifinals to advance to the title game, advanced to next week's state regional playoffs and will play next on Saturday, March 8 at New Rochelle High School.
Peekskill had balanced scoring led by Latisha Clark with nine points and 10 rebounds, Lanay Rodney with 8 points and Morgan Beechum with 7. Clark was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.
"We have a good group on offense and a very strong bench," Clark said. "The key to this win was offensive and defensive rebounding and boxing out -- the basics. And we're really happy to repeat because that was a goal we had this year."
- 1 Presidential Run Puts Spotlight On Trump's Bedford Estate
- 2 Catherine Zeta-Jones Seeks Apartment Conversion At Bedford Hills Estate
- 3 New Map Shows Lyme Disease Risk
- 4 Man, 24, Killed In Sprain Brook Parkway One-Car Crash ID'd
- 5 Cross River Gateway To Ward Pound Ridge Among Noteworthy Westchester Facts