WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Peekskill's defense smothered Albertus Magnus in the second half Saturday night and the Red Devils rolled to a 49-34 victory and a second straight Section 1 Class A girls basketball championship at the County Center.
Fourth-seeded Peekskill used a tough inside defense to extend a narrow 26-22 lead through the third quarter for a 37-28 edge and pulled away for the win.
The Red Devils, who defeated top-seeded Beacon in the semifinals to advance to the title game, advanced to next week's state regional playoffs and will play next on Saturday, March 8 at New Rochelle High School.
Peekskill had balanced scoring led by Latisha Clark with nine points and 10 rebounds, Lanay Rodney with 8 points and Morgan Beechum with 7. Clark was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.
"We have a good group on offense and a very strong bench," Clark said. "The key to this win was offensive and defensive rebounding and boxing out -- the basics. And we're really happy to repeat because that was a goal we had this year."
- 1 Bedford Planning Board Meeting On Home Proposal Lasts Until Nearly 2 A.M.
- 2 Stop & Shop Issues Recall For Several Frozen Food Items
- 3 Two Westchester Private Schools Rank Among Nation's 'Smartest'
- 4 Police Seek Public's Help In Search For Missing Yorktown Woman, 43
- 5 Snow Could Be Returning To Pound Ridge