WHITE PLAINS, N.Y. -- Peekskill's defense smothered Albertus Magnus in the second half Saturday night and the Red Devils rolled to a 49-34 victory and a second straight Section 1 Class A girls basketball championship at the County Center.
Fourth-seeded Peekskill used a tough inside defense to extend a narrow 26-22 lead through the third quarter for a 37-28 edge and pulled away for the win.
The Red Devils, who defeated top-seeded Beacon in the semifinals to advance to the title game, advanced to next week's state regional playoffs and will play next on Saturday, March 8 at New Rochelle High School.
Peekskill had balanced scoring led by Latisha Clark with nine points and 10 rebounds, Lanay Rodney with 8 points and Morgan Beechum with 7. Clark was named the tournament's Most Valuable Player.
"We have a good group on offense and a very strong bench," Clark said. "The key to this win was offensive and defensive rebounding and boxing out -- the basics. And we're really happy to repeat because that was a goal we had this year."
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 Downed Trees, Accidents Cause Road Closures, Delays, Power Outages
- 3 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash
- 4 Modell's Seeks Move Into Former Borders Site In Mount Kisco
- 5 162 Westchester County Employees Take Buyouts