POUND RIDGE, N.Y. – Eight-year-old Pound Ridge resident August Hibler grappled to first place in the four-county (Dutchess, Putnam, Rockland and Westchester) Section One State Qualifier Wrestling last week.
The event was held at John Jay High School in Cross River. August wrestled in the 50-pound weight class.
August now advances to the 2013 New York-USA Wrestling Kids State Folkstyle Championships, which will take place March 1-3 at Bay Shore High School.
In the same weekend, August wrestled at the first-ever Quad meet hosted by the New Canaan YMCA. Teams from Norwalk, Stamford and Wilton joined the New Canaan Youth Wrestling Club, led by coach Joe Bucci, for the competition. August was 3-1 at the meet.
August has wrestled for three years, starting with Fox Lane Youth Wrestling, and later at the Askren Wrestling Academy and John Degl's Iowa Style Wrestling in Somers.
On the same weekend as his wrestling accomplishments, August competed in the JO 1-Meter and 3-Meter Dive Meet at the New Canaan YMCA's 2013 Winter Whirlwind Weekend. He took first place in both events.
August is home schooled in Pound Ridge. He would be in the second grade. In addition to diving and wrestling, he is a second-year ballet student at the School of American Ballet at Lincoln Center.
- 1 Former Exec From PepsiCo In Purchase Resigns From Toyota After Drug Bust
- 2 Downed Trees, Accidents Cause Road Closures, Delays, Power Outages
- 3 Teenager Identified In Fatal Sprain Brook Crash
- 4 Four From Westchester Indicted In Metro-North Cheating Ring
- 5 Westchester Law Enforcement Boosting July 4 Security After Terror Warning