POUND RIDGE, N.Y. -- Police in Pound Ridge are warning residents about a number of scams designed to bilk seniors out of money and other valuables.
Authorities are warning about the following scams:
- The Grandchild in Jail/Hospital Scam: The scammer claims to be calling from a foreign country with word of a friend or family member who is in jail or sick. The scammer then asks for money to be transferred through Western Union or that a Green Dot Money Card be purchased. The scammer then requests the card information to gain access to the money.
- The IRS Scam: A person claiming to be from the Internal Revenue Service calls to say that an overdue tax balance is due immediately and that payment must be made via Western Union or a Green Dot Money Card.
- The Jury Duty Warrant Scam: A caller claims that an open warrant has been issued for the victim's arrest for failing to show up for jury duty. The caller then demands payment via Western Union or Green Dot Money Card while threatening that police will arrive to make an arrest shortly. No government agency will ever demand immediate payment via Western Union or Green Dot Money Card.
- The Computer Update Scam: A scammer calls to say that updates are needed on the victim's home computer. The caller then guides the victim through a number of steps that enable the scammer unfettered access to the victim's computer and all files and passwords it contains.
- The Contractor/Driveway Sealing/Chimney Work Scam: A team of workers solicits work to repair an outside section of the home (a driveway or chimney, for example). When the work is complete, one worker calls the homeowner outside to inspect the job and creates a distraction while the others rob the home.
Anyone with questions about the scams or who may have been victimized should call Pound Ridge police at 914-764-4206.