VISTA, N.Y. – At least seven local fire departments responded to a call for aid from the Vista Fire Department on Thursday evening to help fight a house fire on Wakeman Road.
"Ridgefield, Goldens Bridge, Croton Falls and Bedford Hills came to help us out,” said fireman Lt. Dan Cruz. South Salem, Pound Ridge and New Canaan also responded.
“Some of them just brought water," Cruz said. “There are no hydrants around here, so we always have to bring in tanks and tanks of water.”
The fire was discovered about 9:30 p.m. when a passing neighbor noticed flames. When firefighters arrived, the fire was very lively and had already reached the roof with smoke blanketing the street.
The building has been described as a two-bedroom single family house, set on five acres of land. Cruz said no one was at home and no one was injured fighting the blaze. “The building is still standing, but in all likelihood it’ll have to be bulldozed,” he said.
The cause of the fire is under investigation. So far, no cause has been determined, Cruz said Friday morning.
- 1 Pound Ridge Will Hold Presentations On Scotts Corners Overhaul
- 2 Pound Ridge Planning Board Faces Key Votes On Ridge 29 Housing
- 3 Pound Ridge Teen Gets State Department Scholarship For Language Studies
- 4 Broadway Producer's Westchester Home Hits Market For $29.5 Million
- 5 Mother Of Croton Child Who Died Upgraded To Serious Condition