CARMEL, N.Y. -- The fisherman who died after falling into the Croton Falls Reservoir on Tuesday has been identified as John Scales, a 73-year-old Manhattan resident, according to a New York City Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) official.
The other fisherman involved has been identified as 82-year-old Manhattan resident Joe Gay, Jr. The official added that Gay swam to the shore, was taken to Putnam Hospital Center and then released that evening.
Firefighters and police from around the area were spotted in the vicinity of the Croton Falls Road causeway, which is located in Carmel and is near the border with Somers.
Although the fishermen's boat was previously described as having capsized, this is not what happened to the boat, according to the official, who described the two as having lost their balance.
"A preliminary investigation found that at least one of the fishermen was sitting on a boat seat inside the boat, and both men fell out of the boat along with the seat," the official stated. The person added that it is not known what caused the fishermen to fall.
- 1 Accident Reported At Intersection Of Routes 35, 124
- 2 Dick Crabtree Of Chappaqua, Owner Of The Kittle House, Dies At 84
- 3 Police In Search Of Three Missing Teens Who May Be In Westchester
- 4 Nine Sandy Hook Victim Families File Lawsuit Against Gun Maker, Seller
- 5 Woman, 23, Is Charged With DWI At I-684 Stop