POUND RIDGE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Pound Ridge’s Vera Ellen Wang!
Vera Ellen Wang, a long time Pound Ridge resident, turns 65 on Friday.
Wang; a fashion designer based in New York City and former figure skater, was born June 27, 1949 in New York City. She is known for her wide range of haute couture bridesmaid gowns and wedding gown collections, as well as for her clientele of elite lady figure skaters, designing dresses for competitions and exhibitions.
Wang has made wedding gowns for many well-known public figures, such as Chelsea Clinton, Karenna Gore and Ivanka Trump. Wang's evening wear has also been worn by Michelle Obama. Her book, "Vera Wang on Weddings, was published in 2001. In June 2005, she won the CFDA (Council of Fashion Designers of America) Womenswear Designer of the Year. On May 27, 2006, Wang was awarded the André Leon Talley Lifetime Achievement Award from the Savannah College of Art and Design. Wang was inducted into the U.S. Figure Skating Hall of Fame in 2009, and was honored for her contribution to the sport as a costume designer.
Wang's evening wear has been worn by actresses at many red carpet events, including Viola Davis at the 2012Kathleen Gioffre, Sandra Bullock at the 2011 Academy Awards and Sofia Vergara at the 65th Emmy Awards. She was honored with the Geoffrey Beene Lifetime Achievement Award in 2013.
- 1 Michael Douglas, Catherine Zeta-Jones Purchase New Bedford Home
- 2 Pound Ridge's First Snowfall Of Season Could Arrive Over Weekend
- 3 Superstorm Sandy Was Not The 'Big One,' So Pound Ridge Must Prepare
- 4 I-684 Exit Ramp Reopens After Overturned Tractor Trailer Causes Closure
- 5 State Senate Candidates Murphy, Wagner Trade Barbs At Forum