POUND RIDGE, N.Y. -- Happy Birthday to Pound Ridge’s Elizabeth Hand!
Hand, who grew up in Pound Ridge, turns 57 on Saturday.
Elizabeth Hand, a writer, was born March 29, 1957, in Yonkers. Hand's first story, "Prince of Flowers", was published in 1988 in Twilight Zone magazine, and her first novel, "Winterlong," was published in 1990. With Paul Witcover, she created and wrote DC Comics' 1990s cult series "Anima."
Hand's other works are "Aestival Tide" (1992); "Icarus Descending" (1993); "Waking the Moon" (1994), which won the Tiptree Award and the Mythopoeic Fantasy Award; the post-apocalyptic novel "Glimmering" (1997); a Washington Post Notable Book; and the psychological thriller "Generation Loss" (2007). Her story collections are "Last Summer at Mars Hill" (1998) (which includes the Nebula and World Fantasy award-winning title novella); "Bibliomancy" (2002), winner of the World Fantasy Award; and Saffron and Brimstone: Strange Stories, which includes the Nebula Award-winning "Echo" (2006). "Mortal Love" was also shortlisted for the 2005 Mythopoeic Fantasy Award for Adult Literature.
Among Hand's other recent short fiction, "Pavane for a Prince of the Air" (2002) and "Cleopatra Brimstone" (2001) won International Horror Guild Awards. Most recently, she won the Shirley Jackson Award for Generation Loss and the World Fantasy Award in 2008 for Illyria.
- 1 Hochman Seeks Decision By April For Pound Ridge Elementary Principal
- 2 Winter Weather Advisory In Effect For Pound Ridge
- 3 Bigger Storm Could Be Coming Soon After Westchester Sees 6-8 Inches Of Snow
- 4 Pound Ridge Could See Significant Snowfall, Ice From Coastal Storm
- 5 Accidents On Slippery Westchester Roadways Include Jackknifed Trailer